Sunday, January 18, 2009

Infusions, Day 9

On Day 7, I opted to remove and replace all the fruit in my infusions, with a view to possibly bottling some of them. However, none of the remaining 5 infusions at the time were ready to be bottled, so all the fruit was replaced.

In the case of the apple and rhubarb Bundaberg Rum, I slightly cooked the rhubarb with some palm sugar. I have subsequently learnt that this is not the way to cook rhubarb, however I opted to put the slightly cooked rhubarb and the palm sugar in the rum anyway. I have also put in a stick of cinnamon. I expect to pull that out sooner rather than later.

Finally, I begun another infusion, pineapple in Malibu. Several sources have indicated that the combination of pineapple and coconut would work well, and since rum works well with both, I figured I would give it a shot. A whole pineapple was cut into slices and put into the infusing jar, before having about 500mL of Malibu added to the jar. That has now been sealed and put in a dark cupboard.

More information to follow.

No comments: