Thursday, January 15, 2009

Infusions, Day 5

Last night after consuming 3 Little Creatures Bright Ale stubbies (that review will take place later), I decided it was high time to see how my infusions were going.

None of the vodka infusions were even close to being ready. The plum one is close, but everything else still tastes too much like vodka.

The apple and rhubarb Bundy has lost much of its Bundy harshness, but still has a little on the back of the tongue. I couldn't quite pick the flavour (possibly because after 3 beers and 4 half shots I wasn't in the best frame of mind, so I'm leaving that in there at the moment. A work colleague suggested throwing in a toffee or a caramel to dissolve in there, to give it a more pie/crumble flavour to it, which is something I'm not prepared to discard at this point.

Unfortunately, it appears that the lime Havana Club can be classed a fail. It has developed an oily flavour to it, probably because I left the pith of the lime in the mix. Infusion experts would have told me to take the pith out, but this was my first time and I didn't know any better. I have bottled it anyway, listing it as a possible fail. It may be good for mixing with something sweet in a cocktail, but I may have to simply chuck it.

More updates to come.

No comments: